The Horticulture Crew Member is responsible for the detailed horticultural work on our commercial customers’ properties and providing quality customer service. The individual in this position must apply sound knowledge of all aspects of plant care.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Maintains the appearance and health of plants, shrubs and trees on commercial properties locations.
- Identifies plants in order to provide proper care and/or disease management.
- Prunes trees and shrubs
- Plants and cares for annual flowers and perennials.
- Monitors plants for diseases and insects, using appropriate methods for problem solving.
- Provides excellent customer service.
- Maintains a positive working relationship with supervisors, customers, and other staff in order to appropriately resolve problems.
- Communicates and resolves customer concerns with direct Supervisor as appropriate.
- Interacts with customers in a friendly, helpful manner.
- Participates in spring and fall cleanups as needed
- Loads and secures all tools and other necessary equipment and materials
- Takes direction from the crew leader and complete other tasks as assigned
- Assists with the training of co-workers when qualified
- Follows and sets the standards for a quality company image that invites customers to repeat their business
- Emphasizes the importance of customer service to co-workers
- Communicates any concerns or problems regarding landscape management with the crew leader and production coordinator
- Communicates effectively with other co-workers to function as a team
- Assists with snow removal during the winter months as business needs dictate
- Performs other tasks as assigned by crew leader and/or supervisor
- This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
- Work is primarily performed outdoors during all seasons.
- Exposure to outdoor weather conditions, including inclement weather (rain, snow, heat or cold).
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. Hearing protection is required for duties such as equipment operation that expose the individual to elevated noise levels.
- Duties of this position may expose the individual to chemicals and fertilizers.
To perform this job successfully, an individual will demonstrate and perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The ability to effectively communicate and interact, in a positive manner, with all Company personnel, regulatory agencies, customers, consultants and other contractor personnel is also required. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
Education, Certification and License:
- Valid driver’s license with good driving record is required.
- An Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree in Horticulture is preferred but not necessary.
- Previous work-related experience in Horticulture, specifically plant identification, plant and tree care, and insect detection.
- Knowledge of plants, trees, shrubs and other landscape products is helpful but not required.
- Must be able to communicate effectively in English.
- Stands and walks for long periods of time throughout the day.
- Squats, stoops, or kneels and lifts objects from ground frequently.
- Full extension of arms above head and in front of body.
- Consistently lifts weight of up to 50 pounds.
- Occasionally carries and pushes/pulls weights of up to 50 pounds.
- Fine motor skills required for use of small equipment and hand tools.
- This is a Full-time Seasonal position.
- Typical work hours are Monday through Friday from 6:45am to 5:00pm (40-55 hours per week) during our peak season (approximately April to November). Saturday hours as needed.
- Hours vary in winter months (approximately December through March) based on snow removal.
- Overtime may be required as workload dictates.
Full time Seasonal employees are eligible for a competitive benefit package including, medical, dental, vision, and life insurances as well as a 401(k) retirement program.
The Bruce Company is an EEO/AA employer
Employment Interest Form