The Small Engine Mechanic position is responsible for diagnosis, service and repair of small engine landscape equipment.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
• Services small engine landscape equipment such as lawn mowers, string trimmers, hedge trimmers, or other used in landscape maintenance.
• Rebuilds small engines.
• Performs general repair and maintenance of department equipment.
• Provides emergency service to vehicles and other landscape management equipment.
• Keeps mechanical skills updated so servicing can be done on various types of equipment.
• Orders parts for equipment repairs as needed; obtaining approval from Shop Manager as required.
• Maintains positive working relationships and interactions with co-workers in the shop and other departments.
• Completes information in work order system to properly document service and repair.
• Staffs shop during winter snow events and responds to emergency repairs of snow equipment such as snow blowers.
• May perform general building maintenance as assigned.
• Service company vehicles in a timely manner to assist with delivery of exceptional customer service to customers.
• Communicates any major mechanical problems or safety concerns with the Shop Manager.
• Responsible for accurate recording each day of hours worked in our time system.
• Leads by example, and provides guidance for other shop employees as needed, in regards to company policies and procedures such as attendance, conduct and dress code.
• Keeps work station and equipment clean and clear.
• Ensures compliance with company safety policies and procedures at all times.
• Performs other tasks as assigned by supervisor/manager.
• This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
1. Work is primarily performed both indoors and outdoors during all seasons.
2. Exposure to outdoor weather conditions, including inclement weather (rain, snow, heat or cold).
3. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. Hearing protection is required for duties such as equipment operation that expose the individual to elevated noise levels.
4. Duties of this position may expose the individual to chemicals and fertilizers.
To perform this job successfully, an individual will demonstrate and perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The ability to effectively communicate and interact, in a positive manner, with all Company personnel, regulatory agencies, customers, consultants and other contractor personnel is also required. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
Education, Certification and License:
• High school diploma or equivalent is required;
• Technical degree or certificate in automotive or equivalent work experience is required.
• Valid driver’s license with good driving record is required.
• A minimum of 1-3 years of shop or mechanic experience, including knowledge of automotive and small engine repair, is required.
• Previous equipment operating experience (lawn mowers, string trimmers, hedge trimmers, or other used in landscape maintenance) is preferred.
• Ability to perform basic repairs and required maintenance.
• Proficient knowledge of mechanical, electrical and hydraulic systems.
• Computer skills and ability to update computerized work orders and systems.
• Demonstrated leadership skills.
• Ability to quickly troubleshoot and diagnosis issues.
• Ability to problem-solve and quickly identify solutions.
• Ability to follow written and oral instructions.
• Ability to work alone or as part of a team.
• Must be able to communicate effectively in English.
• Bilingual in Spanish and English is helpful.
• Stands and walks for long periods of time throughout the day.
• Continuously squats, stoops, or kneels and lifts objects from ground.
• Excavates using hand tools and/or equipment to locate underground irrigation components as necessary.
• Full extension of arms above head and in front of body.
• Consistently lifts weight of up to 50 pounds.
• Occasionally carries and pushes/pulls weights of up to 75 pounds or more.
• Fine motor skills required for use of small equipment and tools.
• This is a Full-time Year Round position (approximately 40-50 hours per week as work load dictates).
• Typical work hours are Monday through Friday from 6:00am to 3:00pm during our peak season (approximately April to November). Saturday hours as needed.
• Hours vary in winter months (approximately December through March) based on snow events.
The Bruce Company is an EEO/AA employer
The Bruce Company Mission Statement
We are dedicated to maintaining the highest level of customer satisfaction by providing premium quality products, superior customer service and exceptional value, thereby assuring our customers and our communities of a continued presence and our employees of a quality and career oriented environment.
Employment Interest Form