The Retail Associate – Plant Desk is responsible for performing work involved in assisting customers and maintaining our indoor and outdoor greenery areas; including providing exceptional customer service to our customers through properly displayed and maintained sales product line for optimal sell through, price product and assisting customers with their purchase of plants and related product.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Provides exceptional customer service to Retail Garden Center customers in person, via email and over the phone.
- Answers incoming calls and emails and assists customers with plant questions or regarding products and plant material.
- Serves as plant expert regarding available plants, products and plant care to best help with customers greenery needs.
- Utilizes computer systems including POS to locate information in our database.
- Performs cash register transactions including accepting payment and cash handling.
- Receives and processes all payments according to standard procedures.
- Assists customers with Nursery Guarantee, plant pick-up, installation and delivery, and plant returns.
- Completes, processes, and maintains applicable paperwork and records.
- Maintains presence of greenery area; picks up and straightens plants and products; maintains proper display and placement of signage.
- Tags and pulls sold material to appropriate holding areas.
- Performs sweeping and general cleaning of work area; cleaning and clearing drains as needed.
- Stocks plant material and products; loads and unloads materials and supplies (requires lifting and carrying in excess of 50 pounds or more)
- Maintains health of plants in greenery, watering, dead heading, or removing leaves as needed to ensure quality and longevity of plants.
- Unloads trucks with nursery and greenery product deliveries; checking in inventory deliveries as needed.
- Maintains clean, organized and safe work environment.
- Responsible for opening and closing duties as necessary.
- Develops familiarity with other products and items sold through the retail garden center.
- Set standards for a satisfactory company image that invites customers to repeat their business.
- Assist with snow removal during the winter months as business needs dictate.
- Follows company safety policies and procedures at all times.
- Work is primarily performed both indoors and outdoors.
- May have exposure to outdoor weather conditions, including inclement weather (rain, snow, heat or cold).
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. Hearing protection is required for duties such as equipment operation that expose the individual to elevated noise levels.
To perform this job successfully, an individual will demonstrate and perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The ability to effectively communicate and interact, in a positive manner, with all Company personnel, regulatory agencies, customers, consultants and other contractor personnel is also required. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
Education, Certification and License:
- Associates degree in horticulture, or equivalent work experience is preferred.
- Previous experience working in a retail setting is preferred.
- Must be at least 18 years of age or older.
- General horticulture and plant knowledge, including plant identification, diseases and plant care or ability to learn is required.
- Good organizational and communication skills.
- Proficient with use of computers and software programs including Microsoft Office and POS systems.
- Stands and walks for long periods of time throughout the day.
- Squats, stoops, or kneels and lifts objects from ground frequently.
- Full extension of arms above head and in front of body.
- Consistently lifts weight of up to 50 pounds.
- Occasionally carries and pushes/pulls weights of up to 75 pounds.
- Fine motor skills required for use of small equipment and hand tools.
• Part-time position.
• Typical work hours are Thursdays and Fridays 10:00am – 6:15pm, and every other weekend Saturday 8:45am – 5:15pm and Sunday 10:45am – 4:15pm (20-24 hours per week) during our peak season; hours are reduced in winter months.
• Ability to work a minimum of two weekends per month (generally every other Saturday and Sunday) is required.
• Additional hours may be required as workload dictates.
The Bruce Company is an EEO/AA employer