The Horticulture Crew Leader is responsible for performing landscape maintenance tasks and overseeing a crew of employees who complete spring and fall cleanup, prune shrubs and trees, plant flowers, and complete overall maintenance of landscape at our customer sites.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Directs, organizes, and oversees Landscape Maintenance projects to assure quality and timely completion of work on customer sites.
- Drives company vehicle to transport crew from The Bruce Company to assigned job sites.
- Trains Crew Members on an on-going basis
- Identify problems at the work site and follow through appropriately
- Performs general labor including but not limited to: planting and maintaining flowers, shrubs and trees, watering lawns/plants, providing flower care, string trimming, pruning, sheering, mowing, edging, mulching, weeding, chemical application, raking and disposing of leaves, and picking up debris.
- Take direction from the crew leader, completing other tasks as assigned
- Assist with the training of co-workers
- Follow and set the standards for a quality company image that invites customers to repeat their business.
- Emphasize the importance of exceptional customer service to coworkers.
- Communicate effectively with other coworkers to function as a team.
- Set the standards for a quality company image that invites customers to repeat their business.
- Leads by example, and provides guidance for Crew Members, in regards to company policies and procedures such as attendance, conduct and dress code.
- Assist with snow removal during the winter months as business needs dictate
- May participate in equipment maintenance.
- Performs other tasks as assigned by crew leader, supervisor, and/or manager.
- Provides direction and delegation of tasks to crew members.
- Provides mentoring, coaching, constructive feedback and training of crew members.
- Fosters a positive team-oriented work environment, resolving issues as they arise.
- Approves time and ensures accuracy of hours for payroll.
- Work is primarily performed outdoors during all seasons.
- Exposure to outdoor weather conditions, including inclement weather (rain, snow, heat or cold).
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. Hearing protection is required for duties such as equipment operation that expose the individual to elevated noise levels.
- Duties of this position may expose the individual to chemicals and fertilizers.
Education, Certification and License:
- Valid driver’s license with good driving record is required.
- Category 3.0 Turf and Landscape Certification is helpful but not required.
- Previous experience with or ability to learn effective landscaping maintenance skills and techniques.
- A minimum of 1-3 years of landscape maintenance experience is required.
- Previous foreman or crew leader experience is preferred.
- Previous experience with landscape tools and equipment (pruners, string trimmers, sheers, backpack blower, backpack sprayer) is preferred.
- Demonstrated leadership skills.
- Ability to direct and lead employees of various skill level and experience to ensure desired end result.
- Knowledge of flowers, trees, shrubs and other landscape products is helpful but not required.
- Must be able to communicate effectively in English.
- Bilingual in Spanish and English is helpful.
- Stands and walks for long periods of time throughout the day.
- Squats, stoops, or kneels and lifts objects from ground frequently.
- Full extension of arms above head and in front of body.
- Consistently lifts weight of up to 50 pounds.
- Occasionally carries and pushes/pulls weights of up to 50 pounds.
- Fine motor skills required for use of small equipment and hand tools.
- This is a Full-time position.
- Typical work hours are Monday through Friday from 6:45am to 5:00pm (40-55 hours per week) during our peak season. Saturday hours as needed.
- Hours vary in winter months based on snow removal.
- Overtime may be required as workload dictates.
Full time employees are eligible for a competitive benefit package including, medical, dental, vision, and life insurances as well as a 401(k) retirement program. Position is also eligible for paid time off (PTO).
The Bruce Company is an EEO/AA Employer