The Horticulture Crew Leader is responsible for performing landscape maintenance tasks and overseeing a crew of employees who complete spring and fall cleanup, prune shrubs and trees, plant flowers, and complete overall maintenance of landscape at our customer sites.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Directs, organizes, and oversees Landscape Maintenance projects to assure quality and timely completion of work on customer sites.
- Drives company vehicle to transport crew from The Bruce Company to assigned job sites.
- Trains Crew Members on an on-going basis
- Identify problems at the work site and follow through appropriately
- Performs general labor including but not limited to: planting and maintaining flowers, shrubs and trees, watering lawns/plants, providing flower care, string trimming, pruning, sheering, mowing, edging, mulching, weeding, chemical application, raking and disposing of leaves, and picking up debris.
- Take direction from the crew leader, completing other tasks as assigned
- Assist with the training of co-workers
- Follow and set the standards for a quality company image that invites customers to repeat their business.
- Emphasize the importance of exceptional customer service to coworkers.
- Communicate effectively with other coworkers to function as a team.
- Set the standards for a quality company image that invites customers to repeat their business.
- Leads by example, and provides guidance for Crew Members, in regards to company policies and procedures such as attendance, conduct and dress code.
- Assist with snow removal during the winter months as business needs dictate
- May participate in equipment maintenance.
- Performs other tasks as assigned by crew leader, supervisor, and/or manager.
- Provides direction and delegation of tasks to crew members.
- Provides mentoring, coaching, constructive feedback and training of crew members.
- Fosters a positive team-oriented work environment, resolving issues as they arise.
- Approves time and ensures accuracy of hours for payroll.
- Work is primarily performed outdoors during all seasons.
- Exposure to outdoor weather conditions, including inclement weather (rain, snow, heat or cold).
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. Hearing protection is required for duties such as equipment operation that expose the individual to elevated noise levels.
- Duties of this position may expose the individual to chemicals and fertilizers.
To perform this job successfully, an individual will demonstrate and perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The ability to effectively communicate and interact, in a positive manner, with all Company personnel, regulatory agencies, customers, consultants and other contractor personnel is also required. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
Education, Certification and License:
- Valid driver’s license with good driving record is required.
- Category 3.0 Turf and Landscape Certification is helpful but not required.
- Previous experience with or ability to learn effective landscaping maintenance skills and techniques.
- A minimum of 1-3 years of landscape maintenance experience is required.
- Previous foreman or crew leader experience is preferred.
- Previous experience with landscape tools and equipment (pruners, string trimmers, sheers, backpack blower, backpack sprayer) is preferred.
- Demonstrated leadership skills.
- Ability to direct and lead employees of various skill level and experience to ensure desired end result.
- Knowledge of flowers, trees, shrubs and other landscape products is helpful but not required.
- Must be able to communicate effectively in English.
- Bilingual in Spanish and English is helpful.
- Stands and walks for long periods of time throughout the day.
- Squats, stoops, or kneels and lifts objects from ground frequently.
- Full extension of arms above head and in front of body.
- Consistently lifts weight of up to 50 pounds.
- Occasionally carries and pushes/pulls weights of up to 50 pounds.
- Fine motor skills required for use of small equipment and hand tools.
- This is a Full-time Seasonal position.
- Typical work hours are Monday through Friday from 6:45am to 5:00pm (40-55 hours per week) during our peak season (approximately April to November). Saturday hours as needed.
- Hours vary in winter months (approximately December through March) based on snow removal.
- Overtime may be required as workload dictates.
Full time Seasonal employees are eligible for a competitive benefit package including, medical, dental, vision, and life insurances as well as a 401(k) retirement program. Position is also eligible for paid time off (PTO).
The Bruce Company is an EEO/AA Employer
Employment Interest Form