The Landscape Construction Crew Leader is responsible for overseeing daily work involved in an assigned landscape construction project to ensure quality and timely completion of work site requirements. This includes directing and organizing the daily work for Landscape Crew Members and performing labor and tasks necessary for the installation of design elements. The Landscape Construction Crew Leader may specialize in one or more of the following aspects of landscape design: hardscapes, planting, grading, irrigation or aquatics.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Direct, organize and oversee all aspects of Landscape Construction sites to assure quality and timely completion of work site requirements.
- Leads by example, and provides guidance for Crew Members, in regards to company policies and procedures such as attendance, conduct and dress code.
- Communicates with and provides exceptional customer service property owners in the absence of Production Coordinator or Supervisor.
- Identify problems at the work site and follow through appropriately, consulting with Production Coordinator or Production Manager as appropriate.
- Ensures daily preparation of trucks and equipment, loading and securing equipment, plant and hardscape material needed.
- Performs planting of trees, shrubs, annuals and perennials as well as installation of wood and stone mulch.
- Installs hardscape, water features, lighting and irrigation systems including retaining walls, boulders, wall stone, pavers, etc.
- Performs all tasks involved in installation such as digging, shoveling, raking, sweeping, pruning, watering, picking stones and clearing of debris.
- Operates equipment such as trucks, Bobcats, compactors, trenchers, masonry saws, etc.
- Uses hand tools such as wheelbarrows, shovels, rakes, picks, brooms, etc.
- Ensures daily maintenance of tools and equipment (cleaning, sharpening, greasing, fueling, etc.)
- Assist with snow removal during the winter months as business needs dictate.
- Ensures team’s compliance with company safety policies and procedures at all times.
- Provides direction and delegation of tasks to Landscape Crew Members.
- Provides mentoring, coaching, constructive feedback and training of landscape crew members.
- Fosters a positive team-oriented work environment, resolving issues as they arise.
- Approves time and ensures accuracy of hours for payroll.
- Work is primarily performed outdoors during all seasons.
- Exposure to outdoor weather conditions, including inclement weather (rain, snow, heat or cold).
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. Hearing protection is required for duties such as equipment operation that expose the individual to elevated noise levels.
- Duties of this position may expose the individual to chemicals and fertilizers.
Education, Certification and License:
- Valid driver’s license with good driving record is required; commercial driver’s license (CDL) is helpful.
- A minimum of 2-3 years of landscape construction experience is required.
- Previous foreman or crew leader experience is preferred.
- Previous equipment operating experience (loader, bobcat, skid steer or other used in landscape installation) is required.
- Demonstrated leadership skills.
- Ability to direct and lead employees of various skill level and experience to ensure desired end result.
- Applied knowledge of effective landscaping skills and techniques.
- Ability to read and analyze or interpret design plans.
- Knowledge of trees, shrubs and other landscape products.
- Must be able to communicate effectively in English.
- Bilingual in Spanish and English is helpful.
- Stands and walks for long periods of time throughout the day.
- Squats, stoops, or kneels and lifts objects from ground frequently.
- Full extension of arms above head and in front of body.
- Consistently lifts weight of up to 50 pounds.
- Occasionally carries and pushes/pulls weights of up to 50 pounds.
- Fine motor skills required for use of small equipment and hand tools.
- This is a Full-time position.
- Typical work hours are Monday through Friday from 6:30am to 5:00pm (40-55 hours per week) during our peak season. Saturday hours as needed.
- Hours vary in winter months based on snow removal.
- Overtime may be required as workload dictates.
Full time employees are eligible for a competitive benefit package including, medical, dental, vision, and life insurances as well as a 401(k) retirement program. Position is also eligible for paid time off (PTO).
The Bruce Company is an EEO/AA employer