The Truck Driver is responsible for delivery and pick up of construction and plant material from company facilities to and from projects throughout the Madison and surrounding areas. This includes pick up and loading of materials from suppliers in Wisconsin and Northern Illinois; operating and maintaining vehicles with a focus on safety and customer courtesy.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Organize and load product, equipment and/or material for delivery to applicable job site.
- Ensures accuracy and timeliness of delivery in accordance load slip requests and at the direction of the Dispatcher.
- Operate assigned vehicle (dump truck, flatbed, tree spade or tractor-trailer) in a safe and courteous manner in the Madison area, Southern Wisconsin and/or Northern Illinois as applicable.
- Performs daily pre-trip and post-trip inspection vehicle inspections.
- Maintains defensive driving; operating vehicle in accordance with applicable state and federal motor carrier rules and regulations.
- Provides a communication link between customers, suppliers and staff.
- Keeps the assigned vehicle(s) clean inside and outside.
- Maintains accurate, up-to-date records on trip sheets, vehicle maintenance, fuel purchases, incident reports, accident reports, vehicle condition reports and other records that are requested from management.
- Performs minor maintenance tasks on assigned vehicle(s) as required.
- Ensures that periodic scheduled vehicle maintenance is completed and reported; communicating with shop personnel as appropriate.
- Fuels and maintains the assigned vehicle(s).
- Maintains accurate timekeeping and record of jobs or tasks in timekeeping system as directed.
- Adheres to company policies and procedures such as attendance, conduct and dress code.
- Reports incidents or accidents in a timely manner including completion of incident reports.
- Communicates with and provides exceptional customer service to internal and external customers.
- Identify problems at the work site and follow through appropriately, consulting with IC Manager or Dispatcher as appropriate.
- May operate other equipment such as trucks, Bobcats, compactors, trenchers, masonry saws, etc.
- Assist with snow removal during the winter months as business needs dictate.
- Maintains compliance with company safety policies and procedures at all times.
- Performs other tasks as assigned by supervisor/manager.
- Work is primarily performed outdoors during all seasons.
- Exposure to outdoor weather conditions, including inclement weather (rain, snow, heat or cold).
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. Hearing protection is required for duties such as equipment operation that expose the individual to elevated noise levels.
- Duties of this position may expose the individual to chemicals and fertilizers.
Education, Certification and License:
- Valid Class A or B commercial driver’s license (CDL) with good driving record is required.
- Current federal DOT medical card.
- Previous landscape construction experience is preferred.
- A minimum of 3-5 years of relevant safety experience is preferred.
- Must be at least 21 years of age.
- Working knowledge of Federal and State occupational safety and health regulations, with a strong knowledge of OSHA regulations.
- Ability to follow directions, navigate and read a map.
- Must be self-motivated and able to work independently.
- Must be able to communicate effectively in English.
- Bilingual in Spanish and English is helpful, but not required.
- Stands and walks for long periods of time throughout the day.
- Squats, stoops, or kneels and lifts objects from ground frequently.
- Full extension of arms above head and in front of body.
- Consistently lifts weight of up to 50 pounds.
- Occasionally carries and pushes/pulls weights exceeding 50 pounds.
- This is a Full-time position.
- Typical work hours are Monday through Friday from 6:30am to 5:00pm (40-55 hours per week) during our peak season. Saturday hours as needed.
- Hours vary in winter months based on snow removal.
- Overtime may be required as workload dictates.
Full time employees are eligible for a competitive benefit package including, medical, dental, vision, and life insurances as well as a 401(k) retirement program. Position is also eligible for paid time off (PTO).
This position description is not intended to be a complete list of all duties and responsibilities of the job. Further, the duties assigned may be added, deleted or modified at any time at the discretion of management. The Bruce Company is an EEO/AA employer