The IC Dock Laborer is responsible for loading and unloading materials by hand or using equipment such as forklifts, bobcats, skid steer loaders, etc. This position also assists with the care of all plants, trees, shrubs, and perennials located at the Inventory control (IC) Dock, in order to ensure quality product and providing good service to our customers.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Loads plant material for customers, ensuring customers have all the material requested.
- Helps with unloading shipments and pulling plants for orders.
- Operates equipment including trucks, tractors, and skid steer loaders.
- Assists with watering, pruning, weed control, and plant care duties.
- Assists if customers and sales staff in a friendly and professional manner.
- Maintain a neat and organized work area to service the customers as efficiently as possible.
- Communicates any issues related plants and quality to Plant Care Specialist or Supervisor.
- Communicates effectively with coworkers, customers, delivery drivers and sales staff to ensure efficiency.
- Works in a safe manner, along with other employees.
- Assist with snow removal during the winter months.
- Follows company safety policies and procedures at all times.
- Performs other tasks as assigned by supervisor/manager.
- Work is primarily performed outdoors during all seasons.
- Exposure to outdoor weather conditions, including inclement weather (rain, snow, heat or cold).
- Work is often performed on uneven ground conditions (mud, snow, rocks, etc)
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. Hearing protection is required for duties such as equipment operation that expose the individual to elevated noise levels.
- Duties of this position expose the individual to chemicals and fertilizers
Education, Certification and License:
- Valid driver’s license with good driving record is required.
- Previous equipment operating experience (loader, bobcat, tractor or other used in nursery production) is preferred.
- Must be at least 21 years of age or older.
- Ability or willingness to learn basic pruning skills and knowledge of perennials, shrubs, and trees.
- Ability or willingness to learn to operate a bobcats, forklifts, skid loaders, trucks and tractors.
- Stands and walks for long periods of time throughout the day.
- Stoops, bends, squats or kneels and lifts objects from ground frequently.
- Full extension of arms above head and in front of body.
- Consistently lifts heavy loads weighing 50 pounds or more
- Regularly carries and pushes/pulls weights of up to 50 pounds.
- Activities requiring agility and balance, such as climbing
- Possesses good balance to work on uneven ground conditions.
- Ability to communicate in English; bilingual with ability to communicate in Spanish is helpful.
- This is a Full-time position.
- Typical work hours are Monday through Friday from 6:30am to 5:00pm (40-55 hours per week) during our peak season. Saturday hours as needed.
- Hours vary in winter months based on snow removal.
- Overtime may be required as workload dictates.
Full time employees are eligible for a competitive benefit package including, medical, dental, vision, and life insurances as well as a 401(k) retirement program.
The Bruce Company is an EEO/AA employer