The Retaining Wall Builder position is responsible for operating equipment and performing labor and tasks necessary for the installation boulder retaining walls ensuring quality which meets or exceeds our customer expectations and is consistent with landscape design.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Operates equipment (skid steer, bob cat, back hoe, etc.) necessary to build retaining walls (natural stone, boulder, etc).
- Digs trench using excavator or hand tools.
- Installs fabric and other material necessary in building retaining walls.
- Shoots grades with a transit.
- May install hardscape, water features, lighting and irrigation systems, wall stone, pavers, etc.
- May assist with planting as well as installation of mulch as needed.
- Loads and unloads materials and supplies (requires lifting in excess of 50 pounds or more).
- Uses hand tools such as saws, wheelbarrows, shovels, rakes, picks, brooms, etc.
- Ensures daily maintenance of tools and equipment (cleaning, sharpening, greasing, fueling, etc.)
- Completes cleanup of work site.
- Assist with snow removal during the winter months as business needs dictate.
- Follows company safety policies and procedures at all times.
- This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
- Work is primarily performed outdoors during all seasons.
- Exposure to outdoor weather conditions, including inclement weather (rain, snow, heat or cold).
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. Hearing protection is required for duties such as equipment operation that expose the individual to elevated noise levels.
To perform this job successfully, an individual will demonstrate and perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The ability to effectively communicate and interact, in a positive manner, with all Company personnel, regulatory agencies, customers, consultants and other contractor personnel is also required. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
Education, Certification and License:
- Valid CDL (Commercial Driver’s License) with good driving record is required
- A minimum of 3 years of experience with retaining walls and landscaping techniques is required; 5+ years of experience is preferred.
- Previous experience with Waupun walls is preferred.
- Proficient in operating equipment (loader, bobcat, skid steer, back hoe or other used in landscape installation) is required.
- Ability to read landscape plans and blueprints.
- Ability to read grades and elevations.
- Must be able to communicate effectively in English.
- Stands and walks for long periods of time throughout the day.
- Squats, stoops, or kneels and lifts objects from ground frequently.
- Full extension of arms above head and in front of body.
- Consistently lifts weight of up to 50 pounds.
- Occasionally carries and pushes/pulls weights in excess of 50 pounds.
- Fine motor skills required for use of small equipment and hand tools.
- This is a Full-time Seasonal position.
- Typical work hours are Monday through Friday from 6:30am to 5:00pm (45-60 hours per week) during our peak season (approximately April to November). Saturday hours as needed.
- Hours vary in winter months (approximately December through March) based on snow removal.
- Overtime may be required as workload dictates.
Full time Seasonal employees are eligible for a competitive benefit package including, medical, dental, vision, and life insurances as well as a 401(k) retirement program. This position is also eligible for Paid Time Off (PTO).
The Bruce Company is an EEO/AA employer
Employment Interest Form