The Turf and Ornamental Applicator is responsible for applying pesticides and fertilizers to turf and ornamental plant beds in order to control pests and maintain a beautiful landscape for our customers.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Apply pesticide treatments and fertilizers to ornamental beds and turf areas as appropriate using both motorized and non-motorized equipment.
- Performs minor mechanical cleaning and fluid checking of pesticide equipment as necessary.
- Responsible for reporting completion of work and progress of assigned jobs back to supervisor.
- Completes pesticide application records and posts signs as required by Bruce Company policy and/or regulations as applicable.
- Calibrates equipment to gauge the pounds or gallons per acre of product used with the spreader or sprayer in conjunction with a supervisor.
- Troubleshoots and communicates with supervisor, customer and/or other co-workers or departments as appropriate.
- Adheres to safety guidelines and wear Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) at all times as required by law or The Bruce Company policy.
- May perform other general landscape maintenance duties such as planting, providing flower care, string trimming, pruning, mowing, edging, mulching and general cleanup.
- Assist with the training of co-workers
- Follow and set the standards for a quality company image that invites customers to repeat their business
- Communicate effectively with other coworkers to function as a team.
- Assist with snow removal during the winter months as business needs dictate.
- Participates in basic equipment maintenance.
- Performs other tasks as assigned by crew leader, supervisor, and/or manager.
- Work is primarily performed outdoors during all seasons.
- Exposure to outdoor weather conditions, including inclement weather (rain, snow, heat or cold).
- Exposure to chemicals and fertilizers.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. Hearing protection is required for duties such as equipment operation that expose the individual to elevated noise levels.
To perform this job successfully, an individual will demonstrate and perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The ability to effectively communicate and interact, in a positive manner, with all Company personnel, regulatory agencies, customers, consultants and other contractor personnel is also required. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
Education, Certification and License:
- Valid driver’s license with good driving record is required; commercial driver’s license (CDL) is helpful.
- Must possess or have the ability to obtain a Category 3.0 Turf and Landscape Certification within 30 days of employment.
- Previous experience or ability to learn effective pesticide application techniques is required.
- Previous experience with or ability to learn effective landscaping skills and techniques.
- Knowledge of trees, shrubs and other landscape products is helpful but not required.
- Must be able to communicate effectively in English.
- Stands and walks for long periods of time throughout the day.
- Squats, stoops, or kneels and lifts objects from ground frequently.
- Full extension of arms above head and in front of body.
- Consistently lifts weight of up to 50 pounds.
- Occasionally carries and pushes/pulls weights of up to 50 pounds.
- Fine motor skills required for use of small equipment and hand tools.
- This is a Full-time position.
- Typical work hours are Monday through Friday from 6:45am to 6:00pm (40-55 hours per week) during our peak season. Occasional Saturday hours as needed.
- Hours vary in winter months based on snow removal.
- Overtime may be required as workload dictates.
The Bruce Company is an EEO/AA Employer.